Followers

Monday, August 31, 2009

Walk For Justice



My trainer (I've been seeing her for about 6 weeks) advised me to volunteer at a triathlon so that next year I might want to do it. I associate even thinking of doing a triathlon as a very negative experience. The last time I tried to do one and in all the training and making sure I was doing the right stuff for my body - my doctor advised me to have my gallbladder removed, which resulted in some minor complications (but made me unable to keep up with my swimming training) and then we also moved - and that about broke my heart. Seeing this triathlon I think I can finally put those memories behind me and hopefully move forward to completing one for my 45th b-day, instead of my 40th (as previously planned).

I had never been to a triathlon and it was truly an amazing experience. I was placed along the run portion (which is also the last) - at a point where folks were just starting that leg - or just ending it. It was amazing to see all the different folks who did the race. How determined they were. It became obvious to me that how in shape you are has nothing to do with being able to do a triathlon - it is your determination. It also made me realize that Slade and I could and should do a run this fall. I found this, Walk For Justice, I found it thru our church (First Universalist, a Unitarian church).

So in just two weeks he and I will run a 2 mile race. Then I hope we will find a 5k to do in the spring. Today I did walking/running training for 1 mile - it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Thank you Kitty & Christina for the reference of the couch25k site. I have downloaded their 9 week training and my trainer loves it and I think will be passing it along to other new runners.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Michelle!
    What a happy experience for you --- now you've got me realizing that dad and I have all but stopped our walks ... but you've inspired me to get out and do something. May not be running, but at least power walking... Good going and all the success in the world this weekend and future runs!

    ReplyDelete