Followers

Thursday, February 7, 2008

New Orleans/New York

I got an email from lowernine.org last week that they have their needs met for the time frame of Cody's spring break. Spring Break is a time where there are LOTS of volunteers down there. It makes me think of Thanksgiving and all the soup kitchens that are overflowing with helpers on that ONE day.

So, that has got me thinking that we might spend our airfare and time better to go down in the summer - and convince others to joins us.

We have also started to have a conflict with going during Cody's spring break. We are taking in an exchange student from Mexico. He will be with us for three months and will attend school with Graham.

Our exchange student will arrive on 3/16 - which is the same day that Cody and I were going down to New Orleans. Luckily I haven't booked the tickets yet as we will use mileage.

At this point I'm waiting to hear back from my contact about what would be a better time for us to go.

This is the group that we will end up volunteering with:

onsiterelief.com

Look at their blog stuff, there are some amazing videos from homeowner's. And one amazing video of driving around the ninth ward.

It might also be nice to go down for a 3-day work time with Cody and then go back again in the summer with a larger group for a longer period of time. Who knows. I'm sure I'll be posting soon about what shapes up.

Slade and I just spent a few days in New York - he working and me doing my best to act like a good banker's wife. I had a martini with my lunch most days, got my hair colored and cut, did some shopping, was able to meet friends that have moved there in the last few years, and had a great time walking everywhere I could. I was thankful more days for my ability to walk so much without having any MS issues. I also went to the NY Giant's ticker tape parade - it was an unbelievable sight. I took some video and if I'm smart enough I will be able to put a link here, but right now I'm not sure how to do that.

(I tried to upload a video - it said error)

The noise from the crowd, the folks from all those building windows, paper flowing - you felt like you were in a big snow globe. I called Slade after I left letting him know that I was still alive. There was a few mosh pits I had to get thru.



The parade was quite the NY experience. I have to admit it must of been a tough day for those cops - and they came off as soooo much nicer than the Chicago cops that I've talked to (except for Mr. Sweet Steve The Nicest Chicago Cop there is).

Here is the sidewalk after the parade, there were tons of sanitation trucks lined up on back streets to do the clean up.



Going down to ground zero was amazing. The size of the site really grabs you. Here is the only pic I took from the site - it was during the parade and I couldn't really walk around it all.



Enlarge the pic to see the secret receipe written on the plywood. Why is it taking the construction so long with nothing off the ground level? This is going to be the most reinforced foundation ever seen to the human race.

I saw this guy on the way to the parade - painted on shirt! It was the warmest day of the week, but still not warm enough to be wearing a coat & scarf. He was on his own, like many I noticed. A lot of people were on their cell phones calling one another trying to figure out how to meet up.



I saw this walking back to the hotel from the parade - actually first I saw a large group looking at it and also taking photos.



3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you and Slade were in NY at this time! You witnessed a parade that was unique and memorable!
    The pictures of Ground Zero were also impressive, and I suspect it was a somber moment for you.
    It sounded like a great "break" for you and Slade, and I hope you'll send a picture of you after your hair cut/tint!
    Thanks for posting and for the great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I loved the pictures! Thank you!
    Your stay in NY sounded like just what the doctor ordered! Now have someone take a picture of you with your new hairdo so we can see!
    Being able to view the parade, and being able to visit Ground Zero sound awesome! We watched the game and were happy with the result. It was a fantasic game IMHO, and I can only imagine how "up" was the crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, the crowd noise was unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete