Followers

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Puppies & Obama

Wasn't Obama awesome tonight?

Well, actually I could give some pros and cons on both sides - but, he is it.

I really don't won't to hear any more polls. And I'm also really liking Al Franken. It just hasn't gone my way for the last two elections, so I'm not trying to get too excited.

Go Obama!

We are buying a puppy. I've been looking for the past year or so into a breed that I would like. I told the family this was MY dog - but they could also love it. So, I was picking the breed, but I did compromise with Slade about the size of the dog. I really wanted a bigger dog, Slade wants a smaller dog.

The last time we got a dog I thought we could only get one kind of dog - a poodle. The only poodle I knew was Duke - and Duke is not your average poodle. Duke has a great personality. The poodle we got (Paris, as some of you may remember) was a typical poodle. I didn't realize this until I was at a school event and listened to a parent describe a dog she found annoying. I was shocked because I felt that she was describing our dog, Paris. After telling her this she said, do you have a poodle? Well that is what poodles are like. I realized then it didn't matter what kind of training we did with this dog - I would never like it. So, we took him back to the kennel we bought him from. I inquired about him when I started this search and he is a favorite show dog for the kennel - groomed all day - clearly not my kind of dog.

So, we are looking at the goldendoodle. This is a cross between a golden retriever and a poodle (we have to get a poodle in there somewhere for the allergy issues). This breed has the personality of a retriever and the non-allergic traits of the poodle. It is also a nice cross between the two breeds in terms of it's physic.

So, we have a confirmed pregnancy with Angel - the mamma dog (Max is the daddy). They had an ultrasound last night and there appear to be many puppies. We are first on the list for a girl dog. I have too many males in this house - I won't have a male dog.

This is an example of the standard goldendoodle.



Paris was about a 20 lb dog and this dog should be between 40-45 lbs. This is the minature size - the standard is 50-65 lbs.

Luckily we have all met a lot of goldendoodles in this past year - mostly at soccer games for Sebastian during this past summer. I can't stop myself from going up to the owner's and confirming the dog is a goldendoodle. Then I get to pet it! They are the sweetest dogs. There are also a few families that have them from the school - so we get to see them at the outdoor school events!

So, the pregnancy is confirmed and the puppies will be born around Halloween. Such fast gestations for dogs. We will be able to bring her home around Christmas. So, now we get the new task of coming up with a girl name. Obama doesn't sound right, but I did consider it. First in the running is Franny (of Franny & Zooey by Salinger). When Slade heard this he said "Oh shit" - "What I said?" "If you like Franny, that means you really want two dogs." Well, he is right I do want two dogs. But we will see. One at a time.

3 comments:

  1. I love it!

    The picture of the dog makes me think of a dog our friends have - don't think it is the same breed, but the breed you're looking at sounds interesting. (Waiting to learn her selected name!)

    There's a tiny contingent of Obama supporters down here, and we're working with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of suggesting Golden Retriever as I read, and I see you beat me to it.

    Good Luck!

    There are days when I would like a dog. But then I think we've got things faily simple now, why would I want to make our life more complex.

    love, daddy

    PS> DEFINETLY go for two. I did it with cats. Remember?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are all getting very excited about the dog -- and OBAMA. I think we will get to two - but one for now. Otherwise I might not have a husband - and I want to keep him for sure!

    ReplyDelete