Followers

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Easter

What a crazy past week or so.

A week ago Saturday, we welcomed Santiago into our home. He is visiting us as an exchange student thru our montessori school.

The very next day Cody and I left for New Orleans.

We came back last Thursday evening and it has felt whirl-wind around here.

Saturday was a funeral for a fellow parent at our school. Naomi had breast cancer. Similar disease to Karen, a friend who past away two years ago this past October.

It was hard for me to get to know Naomi. I knew I was hesitant because of losing Karen. It just seemed too hard to fully see how amazing a human being is and then to have them leave.

The service was amazing. Janet (Naomi's partner for 14 years) and their two girls, Sophie & Sadie were amazing. I know from having seen Janet and reading her posts on their Caring Bridge site, that she is in great turmoil (dah), but she seemed also so comfortable. I think it was really a reflection on the support around her. It is amazing to get that vibe from someone. We certainly don't all walk around in life like that.

Their girls also seemed so comfortable and lovable. Sadie (the youngest) has always been so shy to me. When I was writing in the guest book she came up and started asking me about what the book was for. It was an amazing little moment with her being so open and NOT shy.

I actually had the fun task of getting the guest book. I was on my way to the church with ice when I got a call saying a guest book was needed. I really wanted to go to the Paper Source and buy a really beautiful book for Janet. If I knew that Costco had them in stock I would of gone there (Naomi had a big thing for Costco). It also reminded me of how Ann bought Gordon's urn at Costco. I also had to go pick up some table cloths at a party store. The party store had cheap guest books - my choices were wedding ones or solid colors. I bought a purple one for backup.

The Paper Source had some really beautiful floral ones. There was one that really reminded me of Sophie & Sadie. So I bought it and some pretty butterflies that had clips. When Sadie came up to me and asked about what the book was she also noticed the butterflies and asked about them and what they were for. It was great to be able to tell her I bought one for her and one for her sister. She was so thrilled and asked if I could clip the one she picked on the back of her dress. It was the cutest thing. She said the butterfly was going to follow her around.

It was an amazing service and wonderful to be a part of this extended community from the montessori school. Both girl's teachers attended, along with other teachers and many families.

The next day was of course Easter. Santiago probably had no idea if there would be baskets. He waited to eat the first night we had dinner until I realized he was waiting to pray. I told him that he could pray, but we didn't do it as a family. Saturday night we colored eggs. Graham and Santiago were at a friend's house from school. They also colored eggs - Graham said they made Ukrainian eggs.



Seby and Zane are wearing their "knight" costumes.



All the kids were excited to go look for their baskets. They found them in record time which means we have to get tricky next year when we hide them. The weather didn't go along with Easter - it just came too early! It snowed!





3 comments:

  1. Looks like a happy Easter Day to me! Santiago looks very happy with his Easter basket! What a great experience for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are home & doing well. The memorial service sounds so beautiful and I'm really impressed with the job you did on the guest book - what a wonderful sense of connection and care those little butterflies must have given to the girls. I can't imagine my girls growing up without me - it's so heartbreaking to hear of good friends with young children who are lost to cancer. Lots of love to you & the boys - C

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are home & doing well. The memorial service sounds so beautiful and I'm really impressed with the job you did on the guest book - what a wonderful sense of connection and care those little butterflies must have given to the girls. I can't imagine my girls growing up without me - it's so heartbreaking to hear of good friends with young children who are lost to cancer. Lots of love to you & the boys - C

    ReplyDelete